• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next up:

Another Motown Now Sound album:

The Jerry Ross Symposium, Vol. 2 (Motown)

The previous album on Rare Earth had a brassier, heavier "rock" sound, kind of like Mandingo, the Incredible Bongo Band, or a 70s Wide World of Sports bumper.

This album, by contrast, is gentler, and alternately sounds like the score to a 70s made-for-TV movie or an in-store tape that would have been played at K-Mart or Zayre. 

The unexpected highlight so far is Morricone's theme to Duck You, Sucker.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

55 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The Impact of Brass - Down at the Brass Works (Rare Earth)

This is Motown's take on the Now Sound, and they got it pretty right, especially when they break out the electric sitar!

The bass groove of "So Far So Good" is irresistible .... believe this is Ken Conklin ....

On 9/21/2024 at 5:58 PM, kh1958 said:

Sun Ra, At the Showcase (Jazz Detective)image.jpeg.e058b49452f7e2d7ed8eea88e1357479.jpeg

must be fine. I always loved Sun Ra, from the very first time I heard him on record (it must have been among my first records in teenage years, and finally until I saw him live. 
Well, my first start was the ESP album "Nothin´ Is" from I think 1966, it left a live long impression, and it is interesting when I finally heard him live, I was more prepared to free stuff like that, which sure was present, then to the bop standards and swing standards he also played. But for those who always thought that Free Jazz Musicians can play straight, it was a serious lection, Ra doin stride was first hand stride, he had it in the blood as well as Space Age Free Jazz.

IMHO he was one of the greatest of them all, a pure Genius. 
I did not really understand all that stuff with Sun, Moon and Stars but since I am not a one God believer, more so I belief that there is a lotta "Gods", one God for the Sunrise, one for the Moonlight, one for harvest, one for nature or so, I dig Sun, Moon and Stars.... just as nature we see, and if I´m honest when I see a star or the moon I think about Sun Ra. Let people laugh about me, they must have somethin to laugh at, but I admire Sun Ra ! 

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

must be fine. I always loved Sun Ra, from the very first time I heard him on record (it must have been among my first records in teenage years, and finally until I saw him live. 
Well, my first start was the ESP album "Nothin´ Is" from I think 1966, it left a live long impression, and it is interesting when I finally heard him live, I was more prepared to free stuff like that, which sure was present, then to the bop standards and swing standards he also played. But for those who always thought that Free Jazz Musicians can play straight, it was a serious lection, Ra doin stride was first hand stride, he had it in the blood as well as Space Age Free Jazz.

IMHO he was one of the greatest of them all, a pure Genius. 
I did not really understand all that stuff with Sun, Moon and Stars but since I am not a one God believer, more so I belief that there is a lotta "Gods", one God for the Sunrise, one for the Moonlight, one for harvest, one for nature or so, I dig Sun, Moon and Stars.... just as nature we see, and if I´m honest when I see a star or the moon I think about Sun Ra. Let people laugh about me, they must have somethin to laugh at, but I admire Sun Ra ! 

Coincidentally, my first Sun Ra LP was also Nothing Is. This purchase prompted the guys at the record store in Austin to wax rhapsodically about some locally legendary appearance of the Sun Ra Arkestra at the Armadillo World Headquarters. I am in  agreement with your comments.

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

Coincidentally, my first Sun Ra LP was also Nothing Is. This purchase prompted the guys at the record store in Austin to wax rhapsodically about some locally legendary appearance of the Sun Ra Arkestra at the Armadillo World Headquarters. I am in  agreement with your comments.

Same here ...

Sun Ra (Copy).jpg

Saw him live with the Arkestra ...