What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

20 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

ODAtNTAwNC5qcGVn.jpeg

Art Farmer - Farmer's Market (Prestige, 2-LPs)
Compilation of tracks recorded 1954-56

Art Farmer was living in Vienna/Austria from the 70´s until his death. Though he was constantly touring the world, Vienna was his homebase and he played there every year several times. 

I heard him very very often. Farmer´s Market was played often. He was great ! Just a perfect musician.

• Replies 56.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Gheorghe said:

Art Farmer was living in Vienna/Austria from the 70´s until his death. Though he was constantly touring the world, Vienna was his homebase and he played there every year several times. 

I heard him very very often. Farmer´s Market was played often. He was great ! Just a perfect musician.

I wish I would've had an opportunity to hear Farmer perform.  Never did. 

But I'm grateful for the records.  ;)

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

It does, and it's a really good record that way. That's the one with the Basie band, right?

Interesting mix of tunes on that album.  I knew about half of them.  The song "Welcome to the Club" should have been better known.  Do you know other versions of it?  It would have been great for Dino.

24 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Yep.  :) 

Harrow is terrific -- and terrifically under-recognized.

Worse than under-recognised here, I've never heard her name let alone her music, sorry Nancy.

Tidal have some albums, not Hutchfan's though, so I shall sample

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Interesting mix of tunes on that album.  I knew about half of them.  The song "Welcome to the Club" should have been better known.  Do you know other versions of it?  It would have been great for Dino.

Nope, don't know of any.

I got that album as a hand-me-down from my wife's aunt. A very "surprising" assortment of records that includes another Nat record called Tell Me About Yourself  that was another mostly standards album arranged by Dave Cavanaugh, and a very nice one.

8 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

If you'd like to dig into her music, I'd recommend these, @mjazzg:

Anything Goes (Audiophile, 1979)
- You're Nearer (Tono/Baldwin St., 1986)

Thanks, shall start just there, 'Anything Goes' is on Tidal so that's my first port of call

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Nope, don't know of any.

I got that album as a hand-me-down from my wife's aunt. A very "surprising" assortment of records that includes another Nat record called Tell Me About Yourself  that was another mostly standards album arranged by Dave Cavanaugh, and a very nice one.

The one with the golf clubs and the amazing cardigan?  I've got that one too.

6 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I never got to hear him either. I'm surprised to read Gheorghe's glowing reviews of his live performances as I was told by someone who saw him later in life and they said that every time they saw him, he seemed drunk and was not playing very well.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Rather nice sound for 1940s transcriptions!

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I never got to hear him, but I have a lot of his discography in my collection and fond memories of the phone interview I did a few years prior to his death.

13 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I got to hear him just once at Sweet Basil. I recall he had Jerome Richardson on tenor sax.

15 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Most records I have is those made by musicians I heard perform. I usually bought records the next day after I heard a famous musician..... that´s how I built up my little collection....

Nowadays it is also musicians I heard, mostly fellow musicians, I mean I have them their record, they have my newest album.....

On 8/26/2024 at 10:16 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I never got to hear him either. I'm surprised to read Gheorghe's glowing reviews of his live performances as I was told by someone who saw him later in life and they said that every time they saw him, he seemed drunk and was not playing very well.

Can't rule out exceptions, but saw Art Farmer several times during his long stay @ Wien and can confirm Gheorghe's impressions ....