Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

This is sure a pleasure and brings a lot of memories back ! 

I don´t know much about Strata East, was it Clifford Jordan´s label ? 

I must admit the only Strata East I had heard when I was a teenager was the "Rhythm-X" , and I must admit that it appealed mostly to my musical tastes especially then as a teenie-kid . I was crazy about Don Cherry ! 

Strata-East was founded by Charles Tolliver and Stanley Cowell. The musicians owned the recordings, acted as producers, and chose the artwork. Strata-East handled manufacturing costs and distribution.

Clifford Jordan's unrealized label was called Frontier and when that didn't get off the ground, he brought a number of tapes to Tolliver and Cowell for release as Strata-East LPs.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Strata-East was founded by Charles Tolliver and Stanley Cowell. The musicians owned the recordings, acted as producers, and chose the artwork. Strata-East handled manufacturing costs and distribution.

Clifford Jordan's unrealized label was called Frontier and when that didn't get off the ground, he brought a number of tapes to Tolliver and Cowell for release as Strata-East LPs.

Those Jordan productions were labeled Dolphy Series.

13 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I should get this. Never had the LT for whatever reason. Much nicer cover on the "new" version.

Yeah I never liked the artwork of those ‘70’s. But some of them contain some of the best Blue Note records. I’m glad Blue Note uses the CD and Connaiseur cover art. 

12 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Those Jordan productions were labeled Dolphy Series.

I think I remember now that it was called that way. 

The one album I knew when I was a teenager "Rhythm X" had that "Dolphy Series" written on it´s cover. I think I had picked it up because though I didn´t know who is Charles Brackeen, I loved Don Cherry with Charlie Haden and Ed Blackwell. But Charles Brackeen is also very fine, I think the LP sounds very similar to a lot of Ornette Coleman albums. It was exactly the music I liked, not completly atonal and not completly out of a regular beat, but "modern" as we called it then....

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I remember now that it was called that way. 

The one album I knew when I was a teenager "Rhythm X" had that "Dolphy Series" written on it´s cover. I think I had picked it up because though I didn´t know who is Charles Brackeen, I loved Don Cherry with Charlie Haden and Ed Blackwell. But Charles Brackeen is also very fine, I think the LP sounds very similar to a lot of Ornette Coleman albums. It was exactly the music I liked, not completly atonal and not completly out of a regular beat, but "modern" as we called it then....

The Brackeen is swell. He didn't have a bandleader recording again until the late 1980s, though he was quite active in the loft jazz scene of the 1970s, working regularly with Ahmed Abdullah, Paul Motian, Blackwell, Cherry, and others.