• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

inspired to play this

Primary

John Carter Quintet - Variations [Moers, Germany 1979]

20 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That's the only one of the series I don't have, can't think why

Correction, I do have that one, too many LPs obviously...

6 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It isn't part of the series. It is the preceding album. 

I rate it really highly. It's one of his best.

Thanks, I have been living under that misunderstanding for years now

Now spinning:

NS04ODUwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Roy Eldridge - Dale's Wail (Verve, 1978, 2 LPs)

These 1952-54 sides are sooooooo good.  And not because of the instrumental pyrotechnics that Eldridge often brought to the table earlier in his career.  This music is all about the feeling, all about the vibe -- a subtler form of mastery.

I only got this album earlier this year, and it's quickly become an all-time favorite.  

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Biosystem [Incus, UK 1977]

Today's arrival. Fascinating, will take some absorbing.

@mjazzg (or others),

I'm totally unfamiliar with the music of the Spontaneous Music Ensemble.  Would Biosystem be a good "diving in" point?  Or would you recommend starting with another album?

Edited by HutchFan

I would start with Challenge or Karyobin, or maybe Oliv & Familie Sequence. Bobby Bradford with John Stevens and the Spontaneous Music Ensemble (a 2CD set released by Nessa), is another excellent example. Biosystem is superb but my feeling is that those recordings still somewhat tethered to a jazz or "free jazz" feel might be a better place to start with the sound world of John Stevens and company.

Yes, wouldn't argue with Clifford's suggestions. 'Oliv' and 'Karyobin' are both extraordinary, and the former is a great introduction to Stevens' use of female vocals, also featured to great effect on 'Birds Of A Feather' and '1.2.Albert Atler'

'Biosystem' is towards the end of Steven's SME journey and as such is absolutely indicative of his approach to music but you may be better immersing yourself in his world elsewhere first, rather depends on how you feel about strings-only (with a hint of cornet) based free improvisation. 

42 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, wouldn't argue with Clifford's suggestions. 'Oliv' and 'Karyobin' are both extraordinary, and the former is a great introduction to Stevens' use of female vocals, also featured to great effect on 'Birds Of A Feather' and '1.2.Albert Atler'

'Biosystem' is towards the end of Steven's SME journey and as such is absolutely indicative of his approach to music but you may be better immersing yourself in his world elsewhere first, rather depends on how you feel about strings-only (with a hint of cornet) based free improvisation. 

Excellent.  Thank you too!  :tup

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

The discussion about the variations of Ellington Indigos sent me to my shelves where I rediscovered this gem -

album_large_136642_5b1c73a2c3f7c.jpg

I have just bought a copy of that due to the same discussion

7 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

The discussion about the variations of Ellington Indigos sent me to my shelves where I rediscovered this gem -

album_large_136642_5b1c73a2c3f7c.jpg

Has that version of Harlem ever been officially released on cd? I've got it on Chronological Classics but it's not even on the supposed "Complete Ellington 1947-52". 

10 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Has that version of Harlem ever been officially released on cd? I've got it on Chronological Classics but it's not even on the supposed "Complete Ellington 1947-52". 

I have 2 domestic cds - Columbia CK 87066 and that is duplicated in the Studio Albums Collection 1951-1958

s-l960.webp

Two of my favourite vintage bop recordings

The Wardell Gray stuff is really all star.

I never had heard before Shelly Manne on drums, or.......maybe on an early Ornette Coleman record. It´s a pleasure to hear his strong bop drumming here. 

And the Afro-Cubop is one of my favourite latin records. Howard McGhee and Brew Moore in top form......

Download1.jpg

Download2.jpg