What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

On 6/4/2024 at 2:31 AM, soulpope said:

The first (and imo best) David Murray Octet release ....

Yeah, I would put Ming at the top of the heap too -- along with New Life.

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

Spinning 'The Descendents of Mike and Phoebe' Strata-East/Pure Pleasure LP. Part of a sale package received from Pure Pleasure on their discontinuation of the Strata-East catalogue.

I didn't realize that they were discontinuing those.  Bummer.  :( 

Oh well.  All good things come to an end.

• Replies 55.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I didn't realize that they were discontinuing those.  Bummer.  :( 

Oh well.  All good things come to an end.

The announcement seemed to be low-key and they were withdrawn from sale within the week. Most were about the £10 mark, doubles such as 'Glass Bead Games' about £20. I picked up about 15, the titles I didn't have. 

2 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Bought an original Mike and Phoebe sealed years ago in New York City. It is a great Strata-East record.

Don't think I have ever come across an original. Glad I took a punt on the Pure Pleasure - not bad for £10 !

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

The announcement seemed to be low-key and they were withdrawn from sale within the week. Most were about the £10 mark, doubles such as 'Glass Bead Games' about £20. I picked up about 15, the titles I didn't have. 

LUCKY YOU!  :D 

Edited by HutchFan

The other ones I got-

John Gordon.

Tolliver 'Live at Slugs Vol 1'

Cecil Payne 'Zodiac'

Shamek Farrah/ Sonelius Smith

Tolliver 'Paper Man'

Cecil McBee 'Mutima'

Billy Parker 4th World

Music Inc. Big Band

Tolliver 'Impact'

Charlie Rouse 'Two Is One'

Stanley Cowell 'Musa'

John Hicks 'Hell's Bells'.

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

LUCKY YOU!  :D 

They screwed up with underpaying on the postage but on the whole, not complaining. There's a couple more I wish I'd gone for. 😀

Prompted by Rab's earlier post (and subsequent commentary):

Mi0zNTQ0LmpwZWc.jpeg

14 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Tolliver 'Live at Slugs Vol 1'

Shamek Farrah/ Sonelius Smith

John Hicks 'Hell's Bells'.

Three faves.  :tup 

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Don't think I have ever come across an original. Glad I took a punt on the Pure Pleasure - not bad for £10 !

I hadn't heard about that at all. I've never been entirely convinced by PP's bona fides and this only adds to my feelings.

I also never got on with their mastering of the SE and Nimbus West titles I bought from them, always a bit bright and loud for my ears.

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I hadn't heard about that at all. I've never been entirely convinced by PP's bona fides and this only adds to my feelings.

I also never got on with their mastering of the SE and Nimbus West titles I bought from them, always a bit bright and loud for my ears.

I've always been pretty happy with their Toliver Strata-Easts and considering the somewhat iffy quality of 70s vinyl of that era from the USA (crap shoot at best), they can be a pretty good option, being nicely done. Especially so at the £10 price point.

The notification was by email for those on the Pure Pleasure mailing list. Initially I thought it was for just a couple of titles in low stock but turns out that it was for all titles they still had in stock (some being already sold out).

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

Outstanding Piano Trio platter ....

Good to hear. That fine tune 'Avotja' is on it so that persuaded me to get it. The solo LP was also on offer but alas, failed to get that one.

Edited by sidewinder

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Good to hear. That fine tune 'Avojca' is on it so that persuaded me to get it.

John Hicks is really on 🔥fire🔥 while Clint Houston and Cliff Barbaro keep it burnin' .... btw the version of "Avojca" here is top ....

Count Basie - At NewportPXL_20240607_064024565.jpg.65a45a8bbde485f308438f1eda82aa2b.jpg

On 6/5/2024 at 4:49 PM, sidewinder said:

Why are they discontinuing? I had assumed that these were amongst their bigger sellers.

Has the market dropped out of spiritual jazz? Or is this just a feature of having sold the items through to maturity?

Edited by Rabshakeh

Interestingly, at the market today someone was selling four boxes of brand new still sealed Strata East reissues for 15 quid a pop. I asked what the reason was and he said they were overstocks, and suggested that they weren't really selling so much any more.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Interestingly, at the market today someone was selling four boxes of brand new still sealed Strata East reissues for 15 quid a pop. I asked what the reason was and he said they were overstocks, and suggested that they weren't really selling so much any more.

Sounds dubious..

Spinning Joe Harriott Quintet 'Blue Harriott' (UK Columbia EP from 1959). Lively Joe Meek recording.

Early group with the excellent Hank Shaw on trumpet (who I remember seeing years later at Ronnie Scotts). Kicks off with a fine version of Horace Silver's 'Senor Blues'.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Bought for a tenner in the same sale as Sidewinder...

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Sounds dubious..

Whatever makes you think that 😄 

kind of connected, bought my ticket for Tolliver celebrating Max as part of LJF, should be interesting to see him again. British band otherwise, looks like

Sounds as logical an explanation as any. 

Next up - Joy Marshall 'Who Says... etc.' On Decca (mono) from 1965. No doubt Tubby Hayes present in the sax section.

Followed by Tubby Hayes/Paul Gonsalves 'Change of Setting', World Record Club (mono) from 1967.

21 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Count Basie - At NewportPXL_20240607_064024565.jpg.65a45a8bbde485f308438f1eda82aa2b.jpg

Why are they discontinuing? I had assumed that these were amongst their bigger sellers.

Has the market dropped out of spiritual jazz? Or is this just a feature of having sold the items through to maturity?

They were all available on japanese reissues - all here 

45104548of.jpg

45104547fo.jpg

45104546na.jpg%5B45104546na.jpg

45104545qc.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
text

48 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

They were all available on japanese reissues - all here 

45104548of.jpg

45104547fo.jpg

45104546na.jpg%5B45104546na.jpg

45104545qc.jpg

Thanks! Not sure why my comment came out like that but the stuff about discontinuation was a reference to the Strata East Pure Pleasure re-releases. Lovely to see all the Newports together though.

On 6/5/2024 at 6:00 PM, mjazzg said:

I have given the Pure Pleasure of 'The Descendents of Mike and Phoebe' another spin this morning. First thing to say - this is a really nice album, classy stuff. After an initial spin I put it on the VPI record cleaning machine- definitely benefited, with more richness in the mid-range. Maybe these Pallas pressings benefit from this post-manufacture, quite noticeable improvement.

If that £15 crate dealer is still peddling his wares I would recommend you London folks to pay him a visit !

Edited by sidewinder