CALLING ALL OHIOANS

From their website:

Fifth Third traces its origins to the Bank of the Ohio Valley,  which opened its doors in Cincinnati in 1858. In 1871, that bank was purchased  by the Third National Bank. With the turn of the century came the union  of the Third National Bank and the Fifth National Bank, and eventually  the organization became known as "Fifth Third Bank." Since its  beginning, Fifth Third has provided superior customer service and followed  sound banking principles.

Word.

What's the story behind the name of the Fifth Third Bank?

Don't look for any significance in bank names. Many of the names are amalgamations to reflect the numerous mergers and acquisitions within the banking system.

The bank I work for (Charter One) has just merged with a Citizens bank prominent in New England. Our name will eventually be modified to reflect the new entity. Our bank had several names before we became "Charter One."

Next question:

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

WTF?

Yes, WTF indeed. Nothing on the old wesite either...just sounds stupid...

Don't know much about this, but from what I do remember, isn't "Chris" the son of "Ruth"? I think she named the chain after him. All I do know is that it's hard to say without spitting. And a little overpriced- I still think I can do just about as well with a good quality steak on my own grill. They do have good side dishes, though.

......and what's this whole "aged beef" thing? How do they "age" the meat w/o it basically ROTTING? Is it low humidity refrigeration? In my fridge, "aged" beef often ends up in the trash...... :ph34r:

here in in cicny (the home of 5/3rd), but oddly enough i know the story on ruth's chris steakhouse.

the steakhouse belonged to chris when he was married to ruth.

they got divorced and she ended up with the restaurant, so in a final act of revenge (not sure which party instigated the divorce) - she renamed the place.

Next question:

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

WTF?

In 1965 Ruth Fertel purchased a restaurant in New Orleans. The place was called Chris Steak House, she left the name the same, except added Ruth's before it.

Speaking of Selling England by the Pound...

and as a one time land locked Ohioan I always wondered about this:

Genesis - "Firth of Fifth"

The path is clear

Though no eyes can see

The course laid down long before.

And so with gods and men

The sheep remain inside their pen,

Though many times they’ve seen the way to leave.

He rides majestic

Past homes of men

Who care not or gaze with joy,

To see reflected there

The trees, the sky, the lily fair,

The scene of death is lying just below.

The mountain cuts off the town from view,

Like a cancer growth is removed by skill.

Let it be revealed.

A waterfall, his madrigal.

An inland sea, his symphony.

Undinal songs

Urge the sailors on

Till lured by sirens’ cry.

Now as the river dissolves in sea,

So neptune has claimed another soul.

And so with gods and men

The sheep remain inside their pen,

Until the shepherd leads his flock away.

The sands of time were eroded by

The river of constant change.

So, Jim, how did you even come to hear about the "Fifth Third Bank" in the first place??? -- being that you're a Texahioan and all. ^_^

On the striaght job I'm working, we get a lot of checks from Ohioans written on this bank, and the name has always struck me as totally bizarre.

Now that I know how that name came to be, it strikes me as being even MORE bizarre. :g

The bank I work for (Charter One) has just merged with a Citizens bank prominent in New England. Our name will eventually be modified to reflect the new entity. Our bank had several names before we became "Charter One."

The new name could well end up sounding like an order: "Charter One Citizen"!

The bank I work for (Charter One) has just merged with a Citizens bank prominent in New England.  Our name will eventually be modified to reflect the new entity.  Our bank had several names before we became "Charter One."

The new name could well end up sounding like an order: "Charter One Citizen"!

I'd bank on it... ;)