May 11 Fantasy Reissues

Brad

The Konitz looks good to me.

Yep, that's the one that tickles my fancy as well.

I'm having a virtual Konitz fit at the moment. I know I should have gone for the Mosaic, but I just couldn't afford it. I went for some of the single CDs, board members were unloading because they got the Mosaic.

I just love that Konitz sound.

Love it.

Cheers!

jkonitz.jpg

They all look pretty darn good. I've been waiting a LONG time for that Upchurch album to come out on CD. I think it's overdue, considering how many other artists have had multiple titles reissued ahead of Phil's album. I've spoken before about his tone on this session, and I think guitar fans in particular are going to want to hear it.

I've also got my eye on the Red Garland, even though I have a ton of Red already (gotta have it all! :))

They all look pretty darn good. I've been waiting a LONG time for that Upchurch album to come out on CD. I think it's overdue, considering how many other artists have had multiple titles reissued ahead of Phil's album. I've spoken before about his tone on this session, and I think guitar fans in particular are going to want to hear it.

I have a guitar trio session by Upchurch with John Clayton and Harvey Mason which is very good, so this may be one to go for!

Does anyone know the titles of the two Mance trio LPs coming out on his two-fer? It only says they were his first and LPs on Jazzland.

According to AMG, his first and third albums that are the subject of the two fer (the second being a live date, excellent by the way) are The Soulful Piano of Junior Mance and Big Chief.

Hasn anybody checked out thenew Fantasy reissues? The Moody and Red Garland ones look particularly interesting.

That Frank Wess title has the soundclips as well....not bad. Prior to hitting the BN board, I was never one for the jazz flute....but have to admit that over time, I've softened a good bit and do enjoy it in small-med. doses.

They all look pretty darn good.  I've been waiting a LONG time for that Upchurch album to come out on CD.  I think it's overdue, considering how many other artists have had multiple titles reissued ahead of Phil's album.  I've spoken before about his tone on this session, and I think guitar fans in particular are going to want to hear it.

I have a guitar trio session by Upchurch with John Clayton and Harvey Mason which is very good, so this may be one to go for!

Mike, I'm not sure I've heard that one. Anyway, as you know it's 20 years later than FEELING BLUE, and I'm sure it's almost entirely different in terms of sound, both because of the instrumentation and Phil's equipment. On FB, he was using an Epiphone Riviera, which is similar to a Gibson ES-335, except that the Epi had "mini-humbucking" pickups, which delivered an incredibly powerful sound. Some tracks with a large group (Jerome Richardson, et al), and some with Wynton Kelly's trio. DO check it out! :tup

I have a question about the Harold Mabern slated for 5/25.

It combines the LPs 'A Few Miles From Memphis' and 'Rakin' And Scrapin'. A search at AMG shows that the first has 7 tunes, the second has 5 tunes. The Fantasy catalog shows 12 tracks, so no track was dropped. Does anyone who was the LPs know if they're short enough (i.e. under 40 minutes each) to both fit on one CD, or will Fantasy have to edit a track?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand