Stan Getz - The Bossa Nova Years

Kyo

I've been thinking about getting into Stan Getz's bossa nova recordings. Verve has

released this tempting box set called The Girl from Ipanema: The Bossa Nova Years.

Is the box set worth getting or should I just grab the individual disc reissues? I'm

particularly interested in the annotation as I doubt sound quality will be an issue here. :)

I know that two albums are included only partially, but I think I might end up paying less

for the box plus these two as single CDs than for all the individual albums together anyway.

Most are Verve MAster Editions so I would prefer going that route......The remastering of the set is late 80's/early 90's so improvement is certainly there on the VME issues.

IIRC, the only albums from the box available as VMEs are Getz/Gilberto and Jazz Samba. The rest are either old masterings about as old as those on the box, or OOP altogether.

The box is definitely the best way to go, if you can find it.

• 5 months later...

Seven more albums are now available in brand new (excellent) remasterings, although as straight albums only. The choice is hard for some; if you don't have the box set. . . so much is out in new sound. Though I have the box set AND the new releases and have to say the box set has perfectly acceptable sound, good early digital sound.

FWIW, my favorite of these albums is the one with Laurindo Almeida with the brown cover with sun.

Agreed, one of my favorite Getz recordings period. I just wish the backing group had been better-they get the job done but that's about it.

Edited by mr jazz

• 3 weeks later...

Are you talking of the old box (4CDs) or the new one (5CDs), the later of which I assume is a re-packing of "Originals" like the two Coltrane Impulse boxes?

Ah well, I answer my own question... the new one is called "The Bossa Nova Albums" and has the following contents:

0602517549692.jpg

Stan Getz - Stan Getz: The Bossa Nova Albums (CD)

vocals: Joao Gilberto, Astrud Gilberto

acoustic guitar: Charlie Byrd, Luiz Bonfá

drums: Paulo Ferreira

tenor saxophone: Stan Getz

bandleader: Gary McFarland

artist: Stan Getz, Antonio Carlos Jobim

2008 Verve | CD 060251754969

CD 1

[1.] Desafinado 5:49

[2.] Samba Dees Days 3:31

[3.] O Pato 2:28

[4.] Samba Triste 4:45

[5.] Samba De Uma Nota So 6:13

[6.] E Luxo So 3:39

[7.] Bahia 6:35

CD 2

[1.] Manha De Carnaval (Morning Of Carnival) 5:46

[2.] Balanco No Samba 2:58

[3.] Melancolico 4:41

[4.] Entre Amigos 2:58

[5.] Chega De Saudade (No More Blues) 4:10

[6.] Noite Triste 4:56

[7.] One Note Samba 3:26

[8.] Bim Bom 4:31

CD 3

[1.] Sambalero 2:08

[2.] Só Danço Samba 3:38

[3.] Insensatez 3:21

[4.] O Morro Nao Tem Vez 6:50

[5.] Samba De Duas Notas 4:18

[6.] Menina Flor 4:08

[7.] Mania De Maria 2:43

[8.] Saudade Vem Correndo 3:38

[9.] Um Abraco No Getz 4:23

[10.] Ebony Samba 4:34

CD 4

[1.] The Girl From Ipanema 5:22

[2.] Doralice 2:44

[3.] Para Machuchar Meu Coracao 5:04

[4.] Desafinado 4:11

[5.] Corcovado (Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars) 4:14

[6.] Só Danço Samba 3:36

[7.] O Grande Amor 5:24

[8.] Vivo Sonhando 2:53

CD 5

[1.] Menina Moca (Young Lady) 5:45

[2.] Once Again (Outra Vez) 6:45

[3.] Winter Moon 5:15

[4.] Do What You Do Do 4:31

[5.] Samba Da Sahra (Sahra's Samba) 4:50

[6.] Maracatu-Too 4:57

Does Getz/Gilberto #2 have all the bonus track from the (fine) old US CD?

I think I only miss Getz Au Go-Go from all his bossa albums (I have the old versions of "Jazz Samba" and "Jazz Samba Encore" - the later is likely my favourite, his solo on "Insensatez", wow! Also the singer is quite something!)

If you have The Bossa Nova Years set, which I do, it's a good idea to get this one as well;

31FNRfmppDL._SS500_.jpg

There is a good bit of duplication but without it you will miss an excellent version of "Summertime" from this era, and I think at least one other non-bossa nova tune. I haven't quite figured out what's on "Getz Au Go Go" that's not on the Box Set, but even if it's only "Summertime", it's still worth getting, imho.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It was mentioned that the 4CD "Bossa Nova Years" box omits tracks from two albums. I know that four tracks are cut from "Getz Au Go Go," but which other album is shorted?

Based on the track listings from AMG, these are the tracks missing from the new box:

Ebony Samba (alt. take)

Tribute to Stan

(from the Jazz Samba Encore sessions)

Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars)

It Might as Well Be Spring

Eu E Voce (Me and You)

Only Trust Your Heart

Telephone Song

One Note Samba

(all of these from the Getz Au Go-Go sessions, although that album has never been fully represented on either box)

Corcovado (outtake from the Stan Getz With Laurindo Almeida sessions)

Eu E Voce (Me and You)

Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars)

The Girl from Ipanema

(from the Carnegie Hall concert that produced the Getz/Gilberto #2 album. These tracks did not appear on the original GG2 LP, but appeared as bonus tracks on the GG2 CD. To make matters more confusing, GG2 is not on EITHER "bossa nova" box).

So, even if you were to get the new box, plus the recent re-issues of Getz Au Go-Go and Getz/Gilberto #2, you'd still be missing out on the tracks in bold.

That said, it still seems to be a good deal, especially if you're a BMG or Yourmusic member.

Edited by Big Al

BMG/Your Music has had Getz au Go Go since the beginning of the year.

Last month it added the new Bossa Nova Albums 5 cd box.

This week it has added Getz/Gilberto #2 and SG with Laurindo Almeida. I have added these two to my cart.

Hope I haven't caught you too late: SG w/Almeida is part of the box! :o