THE WHO

dave9199

I've posted this on a message board (a gbv board, mostly big Who fans). I was wondering what people here thought.

The Who are a favorite band of mine, but I feel that starting with The Seeker, The Who's sound, studiowise got samey & a bit dull. A number of the Lifehouse songs sound samey to me. The only 70's albums I still love are Quadrophenia ( also samey, but I love it anyway) & Who Are You (not sure why, I've just always loved this one...I think the songs don't sound as depressing as they probably are especially coming after By Numbers).

I've also realized I'm not as crazy about songs like I'm A Boy, Happy Jack (though this rocks live), Dogs. When their studio sound is thin, it always takes away from them.

I listened to Tommy today and had to admit something I've felt for a while, a lot of the songs aren't that good. A lot of songs just to move the plot. That's why I like Quadrophenia better, it's a series of impressions rather than a linear story. Works much better. There are some great songs on Tommy, but not that many. Anyone else?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion would be exactly the opposite, aside from some various tunes on their earlier albums, my love of The Who starts at around The Seeker. Who's Next is one of my desert island rock albums and I never tire of it...despite being overused as theme music for CSI shows.

I never really thought much about the production aspects of these albums, Who's Next has always sounded full and vibrant to me. Although I must admit that I prefer listening to it on vinyl...preferably with some scratches...it just makes it feel all the more authentic. Some albums are best enjoyed when you've bought them for 25 cents at a yard sale... :lol:

I basically like all the albums, that I have in vinyl, from "The Who Sings My Generation", (gorgeous mono Brunswick pressing) to Quadrophenia (Uk Track pressing). I understand your points about Tommy and Quadrophenia, I totally agree with Shawn about Who's Next, desert island record.

I totally disagree with you about the sound, at least on my vinyls. Love it. IMHO.

I've posted this on a message board (a gbv board, mostly big Who fans). I was wondering what people here thought.

The Who are a favorite band of mine, but I feel that starting with The Seeker, The Who's sound, studiowise got samey & a bit dull. A number of the Lifehouse songs sound samey to me. The only 70's albums I still love are Quadrophenia ( also samey, but I love it anyway) & Who Are You (not sure why, I've just always loved this one...I think the songs don't sound as depressing as they probably are especially coming after By Numbers).

I've also realized I'm not as crazy about songs like I'm A Boy, Happy Jack (though this rocks live), Dogs. When their studio sound is thin, it always takes away from them.

I listened to Tommy today and had to admit something I've felt for a while, a lot of the songs aren't that good. A lot of songs just to move the plot. That's why I like Quadrophenia better, it's a series of impressions rather than a linear story. Works much better. There are some great songs on Tommy, but not that many. Anyone else?

1) I think Tommy is extremely overrated and agree with you completely on your assessment. Plus the plot is stupid. As you say, Quadrophenia is much better.

2) I am a big fan of the early singles. The studio sound is not a big deal for me.

3) I agree that to some degree their sound became more monotonous, and Daltrey a less interesting singer, after "The Seeker". That said, Who's Next is just a fantastic album and I do like some of the post-QF songs. Including "Squeeze Box." :)

Guy

I was a huge Who-head and Quadrophenia is my favorite, or at least most influential rock album in my life. Though I haven't had to play it much (perhaps just once a year, if that) in the past...well, 20 years as I played it so much as a teen. Still play my Track vinyl, never did bother with remixes (other than the vinyl soundtrack.) :) That doesn't mean I didn't play Tales From The Who quite a bit during some of the years since.

Tommy is a silly story, but just like my mom could sing along to Puccini operas I know all the words to it so can do the same. :lol: The Councertgebouw '69 version has long been a favorite, in part because they do "Sally Simpson" which they rarely did as it always threw Daltrey off.

As far as sound sameyness, I dunno, never been a problem. Maybe because so much of my listening was live bootlegs during that time, and over the past few years add in DVDs. Of the studio albums that I'm likely to play now it's usually Odds & Sods (as so few songs were done live), The Who By Numbers if I'm feeling alienated, and then probably Sell Out.

Speaking of DVDs, some of you may have heard been disappointed that the London Coliseum '69 show wasn't included in the recent Amazing Journey documentary release. It had been promised early on along with the infamous Kilburn '77 show. Ends up the moderator at thewho.com had the following to say recently:

Hi, All,

A message has come through to me from The Who's management about 'Amazing Journey' and the mysterious 3rd disc... Apparently, the reason the bonus Chicago DVD is not the whole show is that it was remixed from the original 24track tapes and the sound was incomplete on some tracks due to tapes running out on the night being changed. The decision was made not to include tracks from an inferior stereo mix that exists.

The Coliseum ('69) and Kilburn ('77) concerts were completed and intended for release as part of Amazing Journey but the releasing partner only wanted to put out a two disc set. Only the Japanese releasing partner wanted the third disc, so they will put it out when they release 'Amazing Journey' next year. The Kilburn and Coliseum shows will be made available to fans at a future date, as well as, possibly, the 2006 Leeds University show.

OK?

Rob L"

Hopefully the "future date" will not be too far out there!

I'm a big fan up until Tommy. After that, I remain a fan, but not as big.

For me, the kicks come from Moon's drumming raging out of control, like he wanted to be Elvin but didn't have either the chops or the discipline, so he just went gonzo and hoped for the best.

Hell, the whole band was like that early on. Energy & tension to the bursting point with little to no effort made to control it. Quite the opposite, in fact. When they calmed down (on record), they were still good and all that, but....

Who's Next is a great record, and lord knows "Won't Get Fooled Again" says it all for once and for all, but...gimme "Out In the Streets" and I don't care about none of that no more.

...Who's Next is one of my desert island rock albums and I never tire of it...

Thirded, or fourthed or whatever.

This thread reminds me that I also need to pick up the expanded version of Live at Leeds.

They did a single (I think it was just a single) called Join Together that I always kind of liked, sounds a bit like an out-take from Who's Next.

Any thoughts on this DVD? It's been out there awhile and I've been meaning to purchase this.

514S022ZE4L._AA240_.jpg

It has some harsh (or laughably bad, frustrating) edits, especially when it gets into the Tommy section. It may be edit free in the section before, I just can't remember. Almost positive the great version of "Young Man Blues" is complete which is a good 'un.

I tend to agree with Dave (initial post) that roughly after Tommy, the Who start to become just another boring 70s rock band.

I generally like most of the early stuff. While I spun it to death in my teens and maybe the first two or three weeks of my twenties, I have to be in the right mood now.

I do think, though, that the band in general and Townshend as a songwriter tend to be overrated, maybe not as much so now as, say, twenty years ago.

And, I think the Small Faces and the Kinks TOTALLY blow them away.

I tend to agree with Dave (initial post) that roughly after Tommy, the Who start to become just another boring 70s rock band.

I generally like most of the early stuff. While I spun it to death in my teens and maybe the first two or three weeks of my twenties, I have to be in the right mood now.

I do think, though, that the band in general and Townshend as a songwriter tend to be overrated, maybe not as much so now as, say, twenty years ago.

And, I think the Small Faces and the Kinks TOTALLY blow them away.

The Kinks is one of the many black holes in my musical culture. Love the Small Faces, though.

In general, a part few exceptions I tend to catalogue classic rock bands and musicians by ages: there are some rooted in the early sixties, some in the late, then Punk: Clash, Televison ecc wiped all away. It doesn't mean that there aren't crossing eras musicians: Dylan, Young, Pink Floyd, The Stones and some others, but...my two cents. Obviously there are a lot of interesting music beyond that. I mean the late Who are zombies' crap compared to early Talking Heads or The Buzzcocks, or The Smiths or Joy Division, but My Generation or Live At Leeds...well...my other two cents...and it makes four cents. I spent too much for one post.

The Kinks is one of the many black holes in my musical culture...

You only need three albums: Face to Face, Something Else, and The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society. While I generally go for vinyl, I would seek out CD releases of these that contain bonus tracks. (Ray was VERY prolific for a while there).

The Kinks is one of the many black holes in my musical culture...

You only need three albums: Face to Face, Something Else, and The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society. While I generally go for vinyl, I would seek out CD releases of these that contain bonus tracks. (Ray was VERY prolific for a while there).

You're asking me really something: cd instead of vinyl...not sure I could.

Actually I have the live "One For The Road". I'll give it a try tomorrow.

For The Who & other classic rock bands, the older I get (now 38), the more I feel burned out by the songs/albums, even though I still like them. Who's Next you could hear every song on FM radio. Every song! My favorites from that album are the ones always played too. But I just don't need to own it anymore just like almost all Pink Floyd, all of The Doors. I surprisingly still have most of Led Zeppelin (except Presence & In Through...). I'm sick of that too, but it's really great. I do enjoy it when I happen to listen to the radio which is hardly ever. I still have all my Beatles stuff. The Rolling Stones I only have The London Singles Collection. That's all I need from them.

For The Who & other classic rock bands, the older I get (now 38), the more I feel burned out by the songs/albums, even though I still like them. Who's Next you could hear every song on FM radio. Every song! My favorites from that album are the ones always played too. But I just don't need to own it anymore just like almost all Pink Floyd, all of The Doors. I surprisingly still have most of Led Zeppelin (except Presence & In Through...). I'm sick of that too, but it's really great. I do enjoy it when I happen to listen to the radio which is hardly ever. I still have all my Beatles stuff. The Rolling Stones I only have The London Singles Collection. That's all I need from them.

When I listen to the radio, I never listen to rock...anything but. Jazz, Classical, Blues, old Country (read hillbilly), talk...

I don't think they've ever topped The Who Sell Out - a masterpiece from start to finish! I gave up on them after Who's Next. By this time they had become just another boring arena act. I loved Tommy at the time it came out, but have been thoroughly tired of it for a long time. Never cared for Live at Leeds. I think they were still finding their way on My Generation, and Happy Jack/A Quick One has a few good songs, but they really hit their stride with Sell Out.

Another corner heard from...

(edited for typo)

Edited by Stereojack

I was reading this and trying to figure out how to describe my aversion to the Who - when Jack nailed it -

"they had become just another boring arena act."

I see them as somewhat parallel to Led Zeppelin - whereas Zeppelin, to me, is responsible for the "bad white-guy singer tries to wail a tune" syndrome that led us to Aerosmith, The Who gave us hair bands and pre-amp distortion, the kind of loudness I refer to occasionally as "middle class noise" - in other words, the kind of volume that's really just more suburban background music. Never really threatening, just more of the kind of rebellion for kids that precedes business school and Republican registration -

I'll take MC5 any day -

Edited by AllenLowe