Steve Jordan, drums

Kimati Dinizulu , percussion

Joe Corsello, drums (track 6)

here's the web page: http://www.sonnyrollins.com

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, I'm looking forward to this. I've got no idea how good it will or won't be, but two albums in two years from Sonny (even if one was a live tape), that's an encouraging sign.

And Bret Primack deserves major kudos for getting Sonny a web presence, as well as for seemingly assuming the role of the cat who's going to "nudge" Sonny here and there when nudging is called for.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Perhaps those of you who have been checking out the sound samples already know this. I have learned that Sonny is leaving Milestone after 35 years.

His new Sonny, Please CD is on his own label, Doxy Records.

Sonny's last recorded album was This Is What I Do, which I believe was recorded before Concord purchased Fantasy. I wonder why Sonny has decided to start his own label now. Maybe the passing of his wife, who I believe was also his manager, had something to do with it.

I don't have a release date for Sonny, Please yet. I suspect it will be in October.

Looks like it's available now. But at $25 shipped it's priced a bit steep imo.

I simply don't understand why, when musicians sell their goods directly on the net, they so often end up charging more than normal retail. I would think that without the record label and distribution cuts that they could offer their CDs more cheaply.

Ah, what the fuck do i know about such things? But at $25 I'm more likely to pass on this one...

Looks like it's available now. But at $25 shipped it's priced a bit steep imo.

I simply don't understand why, when musicians sell their goods directly on the net, they so often end up charging more than normal retail. I would think that without the record label and distribution cuts that they could offer their CDs more cheaply.

Ah, what the fuck do i know about such things? But at $25 I'm more likely to pass on this one...

OTOH, the entire album, plus one bonus cut, is being offered for $10.00 as a download.

http://www.sonnyrollins.com/music.php

OTOH, the entire album, plus one bonus cut, is being offered for $10.00 as a download.

http://www.sonnyrollins.com/music.php

But if you bought the album at one of his concerts in Europe is it possible to just purchase the bonus? I have to say it really annoys me when they do stuff like this. A bit like releasing a special edition dvd a few months after mugs like me have bought the original.

At $10 this sounds like a decent offer actually. I'd like to buy this and support Sonny

directly but the CD would cost me ridiculous $29.95 including shipping to Germany...

It says they're selling mp3s, so that means no DRM crap - good.

Has anyone grabbed those files already? What bitrate did they use?

At $10 this sounds like a decent offer actually. I'd like to buy this and support Sonny

directly but the CD would cost me ridiculous $29.95 including shipping to Germany...

It says they're selling mp3s, so that means no DRM crap - good.

Has anyone grabbed those files already? What bitrate did they use?

Bit rate is 56kbps - not that you'd find this out until after the download. Sound is awful. The jpeg of the sleeve that comes with the tracks is of some film on a Russian DVD! No download link was supplied and I had to send an email. All pretty shambolic.

I complained and they offered a refund, which I accepted. Incidentally they said I was the first to do so. Quite why they don't put the bitrate on the website I don't know.

Pass is my advice.

Edited by ornette