John Lindberg

7/4

The discs with Albert Mangelsdorff and pianist Eric watson are quite special, IMHO. RESURRECTION OF A DORMANT SOUL, which adds Ed Thigpen to the mix, is especially fine. Also, don't neglect GIVE AND TAKE, a fabulous (earlier) trio disc with George Lewis and Barry Altschul.

That said, some of my favorite Lindberg recitals are on other labels...

d031586sr13.jpg

d28376i903k.jpg

The only disc of his that I have heard is A Tree Frog Tonality, with Wadada Leo Smith, Larry Ochs and Ed Thigpen. It is excellent. I would love to hear recommendations for other albums of his.

e39703eqgi8.jpg

that's the only one I have, some nice stuff came out on that label ( Between the lines) a few years ago but I've not heard much since

The only disc of his that I have heard is A Tree Frog Tonality, with Wadada Leo Smith, Larry Ochs and Ed Thigpen. It is excellent. I would love to hear recommendations for other albums of his.

e39703eqgi8.jpg

I've had that on my "to get" list for years, but still haven't. Sigh. Black Saint?

clifford:

Lyons and Murray are in top form on Jump Up - but to my ears - the young man (21 at the time) is the star of the show. He is quite a bit more than just a "good bass player"

He is easily one of the most accomplished double-bassists in the world. The scope and breadthof his improvising - even at 21 - is far beyond what most bassists would even imagine.

Simply listen to him with George Lewis and Barry Altschul on the aforementioned "Give and Take". This isn't the work of someone who is simply a "good bass player". The only contempoary bassists I know who ply with his depth and precision both with and without the bow - in music closely jazz based - are Dave Holland, Mark Dresser, Harrison Bankhead and Fred Hopkins.

I would mention more european bassists - but they tend not play in the same realm or environment as Lindberg.

Sadly Hopkins is no longer with us

Would you consider adding Formanek to that list? It seems he is pretty much capable of anything he is feeling, and I've heard quite a spectrum of emotion from his bass. He doesn't get much mention around here. Is he not cool I wonder?

What a coincidence that you should bring Formanek's name up. I just noticed today that he's playing in a duo w/ Dave Burrell here in Philly in a few weeks.

Would you consider adding Formanek to that list? It seems he is pretty much capable of anything he is feeling, and I've heard quite a spectrum of emotion from his bass. He doesn't get much mention around here. Is he not cool I wonder?

What a coincidence that you should bring Formanek's name up. I just noticed today that he's playing in a duo w/ Dave Burrell here in Philly in a few weeks.

I spoke with him once, at a Tim Berne Bloodcount gig. He was pretty cool. Bought his Extended Animation CD from him and he threw in an extra copy of the same CD, except this one came from the factory with audio of a Swedish hair-metal band called Opus. No charge for the Opus, either.

c367969g6i9.jpg

actually a year apart I saw Frank Gratkowksi with Gerry Hemingway - first time w/Formanek, the second time with Lindberg.

The first concert was stronger - but it might have been the vibe in the room - or it might have been me.

As far as the bassists' contributions, Lindberg is much more adept with the bow - and a more articulate and precise player than the big man. No knock on Formanek, he is a very fine bassist as well as a fine composer, it's just that to these ears, Lindberg is a more versatile and ultimatley a more exciting and interesting player.

To answer the question above, I have this one:

cover-608917120325.jpg

and just recently played it and found it excellent. I have never heard (of) Steve Gorn before, but he's very good on clarinet (and saxophones, but I like his clarinet playing better), and Baikida Carroll is someone I'm not all that familiar with, either - very good player. On drums is the great Susie Ibarra (I'm sure some rats could tell some stories about someone having a crush on her...).

So even though the band looks somewhat less interesting than the one on "A Tree Frog Tonality", the disc is just as fine, in my opinion. :tup

To answer the question above, I have this one:

cover-608917120325.jpg

and just recently played it and found it excellent. I have never heard (of) Steve Gorn before, but he's very good on clarinet (and saxophones, but I like his clarinet playing better), and Baikida Carroll is someone I'm not all that familiar with, either - very good player. On drums is the great Susie Ibarra (I'm sure some rats could tell some stories about someone having a crush on her...).

So even though the band looks somewhat less interesting than the one on "A Tree Frog Tonality", the disc is just as fine, in my opinion. :tup

Thanks.

I'll put it on my short list.

and just recently played it and found it excellent. I have never heard (of) Steve Gorn before, but he's very good on clarinet (and saxophones, but I like his clarinet playing better),

Steve is better known as a Bansuri player (Hindustani classical bamboo flute). I've had the pleasure of hearing him perform many times. http://stevegorn.com/

and just recently played it and found it excellent. I have never heard (of) Steve Gorn before, but he's very good on clarinet (and saxophones, but I like his clarinet playing better),

Steve is better known as a Bansuri player (Hindustani classical bamboo flute). I've had the pleasure of hearing him perform many times. http://stevegorn.com/

You know, usually I'm rather sceptical about caucasians playing indian classical music/instruments... but yes, Gorn plays bansuri on this Lindberg disc, too, and it fits in nicely! (Or is that a live recording of the group where he plays bansuri? Now I'm not sure anymore... whatever, the master of the instrument is Hariprasad Chaurasia!)

You know, usually I'm rather sceptical about caucasians playing indian classical music/instruments... but yes, Gorn plays bansuri on this Lindberg disc, too, and it fits in nicely! (Or is that a live recording of the group where he plays bansuri? Now I'm not sure anymore... whatever, the master of the instrument is Hariprasad Chaurasia!)

Hariprasad Chaurasia is the master. That's why he has the title Pandit.

Steve can obviously play and he's seems to keep busy. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about his playing.