Miles Davis' sets in longbox format?

I don't think I'm seeing things... but aren't several of the Davis box sets being released in this "longbox" format? Which sets are??? (And aren't?) I just bought the "Complete Silent Way Sessions" in that format... and Seven Steps in a regular box....

I heard a rumor that these "longbox" editions are cheaper... (and the Silent Way set I got was abour $10 cheaper than the regular box)...

How is this so? It's the exact same material right? Isn't Columbia losing $$ doing this? How long we will see these?

As far as I understand it, it's the 'regular' versions that will disappear, each being replaced (in time) by the longbox formats.

All the early boxes have gone to longbox (I believe the Jack Johnson box has just been released). Seven Steps is still kinda new, so it won't go 'long' for a while yet.

And yes, the sets are the same.

Earlier discussion here.

I have two of the long boxes (Quintet 65-68 and Gil Evans), and I find myself occasionally wishing I had bought the "metal spine" versions, if only so that they would match the Seven Steps box.

The cost savings was nice, though. Yourmusic.com has the Quintet long box for $35.94 -- the other version is around $100!

Cool... thanks .. I knew I must have missed something... that helps a lot...

FWIW... I prefer the longboxes.... Way cheaper... same music....

Earlier discussion here.

I have two of the long boxes (Quintet 65-68 and Gil Evans), and I find myself occasionally wishing I had bought the "metal spine" versions, if only so that they would match the Seven Steps box.

The cost savings was nice, though.  Yourmusic.com has the Quintet long box for $35.94 -- the other version is around $100!

Somebody mentioned a couple of weeks ago that Jazzmataz had the long box of the Jack Johnson sessions set for release in mid-August, so last week I ordered the metal spine box from BMG.

It arrived three days after shipping!  Anyway, last call for the Jack Johnson metal spine box!

That reminds me... I need to order that one from yourmusic.com!

I bet it won't be last call for quite a long time -- I still see metal spine versions of the Quintet box at local stores, and it's still available at CD Universe as well. I guess they aren't pulling them off the shelves once the long box arrives.

Which makes we wonder what effect that has on casual Miles Davis fans, seeing all of these box sets with the same titles but different packaging. My local bookstore has multiple copies of both versions of a few of them; I'm sure it's confusing to some.

I just ordered my Longbox of the 2nd quintet on overstock.com and paid $45... which is $40 cheaper than the metal spine version (on cduniverse.com)...

I really don't get why you guys would spend at least an $20-40 more for EXACTLY the same music/liner notes, etc...

I mean to each his own but.... IMHO...

:blink::blink::unsure::unsure::wacko:

Edited by tranemonk

I just ordered my Longbox of the 2nd quintet on overstock.com and paid $45...  which is $40 cheaper than the metal spine version (on cduniverse.com)...

I really don't get why you guys would spend at least an $20-40 more for EXACTLY the same music/liner notes, etc...

:blink:  :blink:  :unsure:  :unsure::wacko:

When most of these were first issued there was no choice. The long box was only created in the last year or so. Given the choice now, I still might go with the metal spine...but I would have second thoughts.

Edited by BFrank

I know... I remember...I bought the Miles-Gil Evans box as soon as it came out... and was absolutely furious with the number of false starts/alternate takes, studio chatter (had to be at least 1 or 2 cd's full of it...) - :angry::angry::angry::tdown

sold it months later and went back and bought the original CD's....

So I was extremely distrustful when the rest of the sets came out (except the live Plugged Nickel and Blackhawk sets obvious no "studio chatter, false starts, incomplete takes)... So I didn't get any of the other sets ('Trane, Bitches Brew, etc.) ... Until... the new Seven Steps release (metal spine), and then found out about the longbox releases.

IMHO I don't think the longbox is that bad.... I just put it on top of my CD cases... and the price is absolutely fab....!!! :D:D:tup:tup:party:

I just ordered my Longbox of the 2nd quintet on overstock.com and paid $45...  which is $40 cheaper than the metal spine version (on cduniverse.com)...

:blink:  :blink:  :unsure:  :unsure::wacko:

When most of these were first issued there was no choice. The long box was only created in the last year or so. Given the choice now, I still might go with the metal spine...but I would have second thoughts.