My ever growing cd collection

mrjazzman

HELP........I have 1530 cd's and counting. I like to keep them in alphabetical order. im constantly almost on a daily basis adding new cd's and have to re arrange the entire collection each time. i need an expandable storage system where i can stick a new cd in its alphabetical spot with touching the other cd's......thanks

I don't think a system like that has been invented yet.

I put mine into a huge shelf system (Ikea) and leave some space at the end of single rows so I only have to shift some CDs (I have about twice as many as you do, or more) everytime I add new ones.

But a total reshuffeling of the CDs becomes necessary once in a while because I also buy too many. I just redid the whole thing last week which will give me a few months without headaches.

Or a few weeks. <_<

Make an estimate of how many CDs you buy per month/year and leave space accordingly.

A year ago when I set up my CD racks I left approximately 1/4 of empty space every 100-150 CDs (there is a heartbreaking foto report in the Funny Rat thread). Does not look too elegant, but allows to avoid moving too many CDs. Has been working OK for a year now. I expect not to have a need for a major repositionng for another 6 months or so.

Edited by Д.Д.

Not only can I not stop buying CDs and have also run out of space but I don't have sufficient time to play the darn things! I have found an interim (the permanent one of course is to move house which I can't afford to do) solution in buying double 'gatefold' style plastic CD sleeves from a company called Jazz Loft in the USA. You then transfer all of the CD jewel case including the back and front covers without having to damage or fold the paper. These sleeves take up approximately a third less space than jewel cases. I'll have to buy more (am onto my 4th batch of 100) but it's a start. Doesn't help with the playing thing though.

Not only can I not stop buying CDs and have also run out of space but I don't have sufficient time to play the darn things! I have found an interim (the permanent one of course is to move house which I can't afford to do) solution in buying double 'gatefold' style plastic CD sleeves from a company called Jazz Loft in the USA. You then transfer all of the CD jewel case including the back and front covers without having to damage or fold the paper. These sleeves take up approximately a third less space than jewel cases. I'll have to buy more (am onto my 4th batch of 100) but it's a start. Doesn't help with the playing thing though.

please post a link!

:)

I've done the same via Bags Unlimited.

scdgf4.jpg

the illustration on the link shows that you put thebooklet on the left and the tray card in the right side so that the folded over title shows when stored. i use a tyvek disc sleeve as well. you just fold them in half at the seam. only problem is they are a bit flimsy when cleaning seeds. :eye::eye:CD Gatefold Sleeve

scdgf4.jpg

the illustration on the link shows that you put thebooklet on the left and the tray card in the right side so that the folded over title shows when stored. i use a tyvek disc sleeve as well. you just fold them in half at the seam. only problem is they are a bit flimsy when cleaning seeds.  :eye:  :eye:CD Gatefold Sleeve

now vint, THAT was funny! :lol:

please post a link!

:)

Jazzloft. :)

There's a video demonstration of how to use the sleeves somewhere in there.

Yes that's the one: http://ssl.adhost.com/jazzloft/baskets/sleeves.cfm but this previously quoted one

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.a...oduct_id=scdgf4

may actually be cheaper - I assume they are a similar or identical product. Why does no one sell these in the UK (yet)?

FWIW The nice lady at BagsUnLTD told me that they sell to JazzLoft.

• 1 month later...

scdgf4.jpg

the illustration on the link shows that you put thebooklet on the left and the tray card in the right side so that the folded over title shows when stored. i use a tyvek disc sleeve as well. you just fold them in half at the seam. only problem is they are a bit flimsy when cleaning seeds.  :eye:  :eye:CD Gatefold Sleeve

For those of you using the sleeve solution, how do you feel about the discs resting on their edges rather than being suspended by their hubs in the jewel case? Anyone go to this solution and then go back to jewels?

I'm reaching my storage limits and am considering options that I previously wouldn't have considered... I'm just looking for some reassurance that the sleeves are safe.