A Man Named Semen

As some of you might know, I am currently working for "a major mortgage company", as the game show contestants of yore would have put it. We service the entire United States, and as a result, we see many "unusual" names, some of which are not really unusual, just unfamiliar (ie - non-Western) and with unintentional humorous implications when spoken in English.

But last night, I came across a payment coupon from a gentleman in NYC w/the first name of "Semen". Thinking that this might be a typo on the part of the coupon vendor, I asked to see the accompanying check, and sure enough, this guys first name was Semen. More than that I cannot and will not reveal due to customer and company confidentiality issues.

I will say, though, that the man had a rather common "Jewish" last name, so I ask in all seriousness - is "Semen" a traditional Hebraic first name used in other cultures than that of the West, or did this guy's parents just have a really warped sense of humor?

Again, this is a totally serious inquiry. I know that the usual suspects (of which I'm often a part, I admit) will take this and run with it, but I really would appreciate a straight answer from somebody. Please!

Hey JSngry--I can't explain the name "Semen," but here's a funny anecdote along similar lines:

My Mom works at a Junior High, and a girl came to her school from Pakistan whose name (though the spelling was not the same as English) was pronounced "Prick Shit." The parents and girl took quite a bit of convincing before she would choose a new American moniker... :g

Hey JSngry--I can't explain the name "Semen," but here's a funny anecdote along similar lines:

My Mom works at a Junior High, and a girl came to her school from Pakistan whose name (though the spelling was not the same as English) was pronounced "Prick Shit." The parents and girl took quite a bit of convincing before she would choose a new American moniker... :g

Now is this really true? I mean, did they have to draw a picture of a penis and a steaming pile of turd to convince the family that it would be best for the girl to change her name?

My Mom works at a Junior High, and a girl came to her school from Pakistan whose name (though the spelling was not the same as English) was pronounced "Prick Shit."  The parents and girl took quite a bit of convincing before she would choose a new American moniker... :g

Now is this really true? I mean, did they have to draw a picture of a penis and a steaming pile of turd to convince the family that it would be best for the girl to change her name?

Though I am not sure of the details of the discussion, evidently she liked her name--and the pronunciation was not exactly the same save the "-shit" IIRC.

... as long as were on the topic, Detroit Tiger fans will long remember Rusty Kuntz, a member of the 1984 World Champs!

Royals fans too. We had a heydey collecting his cards back then.

Here's another one for your consideration, I went to junior high with a kid--no joke--named Jason Wacknov. Poor guy.... :(