Joe Puma Wild Kitten

AndrewHill

I have this one on hold. The only other cd I have him on is the Mann/Most disc on Bethlehem, and I like him there. This one's on Dawn, and it looks like its culled from at least two sessions, but one of them has this dude on accordian, which has me concerned. Its not that I have a problem with them, I just don't know how its going to sound in this context. So does anyone have this one? And do they like it?

Don't have, haven't heard it, but if the accordionist (is that how you say it?) is Mat Mathews from the Netherlands, I like him quite bit. His own Dawn album (with Puma, Gigi Gryce, Art Farmer, Mann, Julius Watkins, Dick Katz, Oscar Pettiford, and Kenny Clarke) is a gem. If you fear the "squeeze box" sound in any form, Matthews hardly does that at all; he sticks to the buttons and turns the accordion into a single-line instrument basically. He's not a profound player but a genial, hip swinger, and he obviously had fine taste in sidemen.

Yes, fine album! The second session I think is just a couple of bonus tracks by the way.

Larry, which Mathews album do you mean? "The Modern Art of Jazz" or "The Gentle Art of Love"?

Info about Blue Moon's Dawn reissues here:

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/catalogue...amp;label_id=10

"The Modern Art of Jazz"

Yes, fine album! The second session I think is just a couple of bonus tracks by the way.

Larry, which Mathews album do you mean? "The Modern Art of Jazz" or "The Gentle Art of Love"?

Info about Blue Moon's Dawn reissues here:

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/catalogue...amp;label_id=10

"The Modern Art of Jazz"

Thanks, will have to look for that one! Those Dawn albums were a fine bunch!

This duo album -- Chuck Wayne/Joe Puma, "Interactions" (Choice) -- is a gem for both guitarists:

http://classicjazzguitar.com/albums/artist...m.jsp?album=760

Puma's solo on "Body and Soul" is one of the best I've heard on those changes, regardless of instrument. Can't find it now, but I believe that Allen Lowe once posted a story about Wayne and Puma working at a New England club and not getting along at all, except musically.

Here you go:

well, I'll tell you, one night at Gregory's Al Haig and Chuck Wayne almost came to blows over the chord changes to some tune -Haig was annoyed because he thought Wayne was usurping his leadership of the trio, Wayne got REALLY pissed, and walked out - never saw him again -

some people will die for the right changes -

yeah, it was with Haig at Greoory's in NYC that Wayne walked out in a huff (or, maybe a minute and a huff, as Groucho would say) - might have been the same problem with Puma, as Chuck liked to strum the changes while Puma had a very mellow approach, as I recall (and I remember Puma playing the most beautiful guitar solo I ever heard at Bill Evans' funeral) -

So Wild Kitten came in the mail today and it went right into the player...I have to say that everything that was said about Matthews is quite accurate. I had no idea that an accordian could swing in a bop setting. Puma's tone is really rich and full-bodied too (sounds like I'm describing shampoo now) and it has Oscar Pettiford on it to boot. What a solid date.

And you're right King Ubu, this label has a lot of great acts on it as indicated on the reverse of the booklet. I remember seeing the Cohn and Jazz Modes years ago at tower, and now I really wished I would've picked them up.

So Wild Kitten came in the mail today and it went right into the player...I have to say that everything that was said about Matthews is quite accurate. I had no idea that an accordian could swing in a bop setting. Puma's tone is really rich and full-bodied too (sounds like I'm describing shampoo now) and it has Oscar Pettiford on it to boot. What a solid date.

And you're right King Ubu, this label has a lot of great acts on it as indicated on the reverse of the booklet. I remember seeing the Cohn and Jazz Modes years ago at tower, and now I really wished I would've picked them up.

don't overlook the weston and sims! sims is one of my favorite cds actually

don't overlook the weston and sims! sims is one of my favorite cds actually

That's my favorite period for Zoot, and that is one of his best of that period. Gus Johnson and John Williams really kick that date along.