Cape Verdean Blues

sal

DAMN, this is a great album!!! I never heard this one before my RVG came in the mail a few days ago, and this some fantastic jazz. This is WITHOUT A DOUBT my new favorite Horace Silver album, and I have about 8 or 9 of his CDs. Every song is just really great to listen to...memorable melodies and FANTASTIC soloing. Horace seems really inspired this session...his piano solos are some of my favorite I've ever heard him play. Woody Shaw and Joe Henderson turn in some fantastic playing, and JJ Johnson is just icing on the cake. Man, this is some foot-tapping, finger popping, swinging stuff here! I love it!!!! Another thing I really like is the diverse choice of material. Some of Silver's albums, although the playing is always top notch, contain alot of songs that sound the same. Cape Verdean Blues is still signature Horace Silver, but he sounds refreshed, revitalized and full of new ideas....like he was realy inspired and reached some new peaks in his composing (and playing). My ranting is done, and thanks for letting me get this out of my system! Oh, and if there's anyone who has never heard this album, get to the store as soon as freakin' possible and treat yourself to some musical gold.

Thank you.

Yeah, this is one Horace BN that I managed to not ever pick up on LP back in the day, the probable reason being that I thought that I already had it everytime I saw it... :blink:

GREAT side, although on a non-musical note, this (along w/CONQUISTADOR & NEVER LET ME GO) is my first real exposure to the RVG CDs (yeah, I know - what kind of a rock have I been living under? One with a lot of LPs, that's what kind...). It sounds...different. at times almost like a Muse date in terms of sound. Not sure if I like that or not, but no matter, it's what I have and the music's great, so BFD about what Rudy did or did not do to the sound.

But I WILL be looking for an LP, just not too strenuously. ;)

Edited by JSngry

I haven't heard the RVG, but I dig this album. I'm not a huge Horace Silver fan either and I'm not sure why. The second side of this, the tracks with JJ, kills!

On a side note, there are a lot of Verdean people that came to RI and Southeastern MA to settle. Every time someone is in my car and I have this CD, they are suddenly interested in jazz, whether they are Portuguese or not! Its funny.

It sounds...different. at times almost like a Muse date in terms of sound. Not sure if I like that or not, but no matter, it's what I have and the music's great, so BFD about what Rudy did or did not do to the sound.

You mean the new RVG sounds like a Muse LP? Oh my crazy kittens ...

Rudy should seriously consider retirement then.

Well, no, it doesn't sound like a Muse LP, that was hyperbole, but there's reverb on Joe's tenor like I've never heard on a Lion-era BN. and sometimes the hi-hat sounds strangely disembodied and reverbed. Plus, the whole sound is really "bright". So, it's not the "classic" BN sound audio-wise, but I can certainly live with it, ya' know?

Hell, I'm just glad that I finally realized that I didn't have this one! :g

Well, no, it doesn't sound like a Muse LP, that was hyperbole, but there's reverb on Joe's tenor like I've never heard on a Lion-era BN. and sometimes the hi-hat sounds strangely disembodied and reverbed. Plus, the whole sound is really "bright". So, it's not the "classic" BN sound audio-wise, but I can certainly live with it, ya' know?

Hell, I'm just glad that I finally realized that I didn't have this one! :g

You figure the reverb's added to this reissue, or that other remastering techniques brought the reverb to the fore (brightening, for instance)?

--eric

This is one of my favorite jazz (vinyl) records. For some reason I rarely get excited over Horace Silver's music, too tame for me. But Woody and Joe, there you go!!!

Sincerely hoping to see some of you selling your TOCJ editions soon, now that you have that "great" RVG digital re"mastering"....

Edited by AmirBagachelles

Hey, when it comes to audio matters, don't listen to me! I'm the guy who thrives on funky bootlegs, raggedyasss used cassette tapes, and LPs that have seen better days. All I'm saying is that it's different, that's all.

And if you don't have the music, you need it, no matter what.

The tracks with J.J. Johnson have pushed me off the fence. There will be a Mosaic in my future.  :wub:

Another convert! All right!

This has long been a favorite Blue Note. In some ways, JJ would seem to be the antithesis of Woody and Joe, but the blend/contrast of the three horns seems to work very well, IMHO.

Inspired compositions by Horace (and Joe) abound, and how about some props for drummer Roger Humphries? When I was living in the Cleveland area I got to play with him a couple times in Pittsburgh (at the Manchester Craftsmen's Guild, where several jazz releases have been recorded) and he still sounds great (he's originally from Pittsburgh).

I'll always love this side and include it on my desert island list. :tup:tup

Edited by Free For All

The tracks with J.J. Johnson have pushed me off the fence. There will be a Mosaic in my future. :wub:

Wise decision, Quincy! The Mosaic is fantastic.....I was just listening to some discs from the set. Its my favorite Mosaic in my collection.

I've been enjoying this reissue too. The sound is just fantastic!

Listening to this album more intently now than I have in some time (I first got the McMaster edition about ten years ago), I am struck by how in the past I didn't like the sextet side (with J.J. Johnson) very much and now I like it quite a lot, although I would still say that I prefer the quintet side...there's just something about the front line of Joe and Woody. Just like on Larry Young's "Unity."

I would certainly hope they do an RVG of "The Jody Grind" too, although perhaps it won't happen any time soon...

That was my reaction as well, the remastering made me enjoy the sextet side much more than I had in the past. J. J. even sounded eerily real in his solos. . . I think RVG really nailed the sound on this batch of reissues!

I was struck also at how rich the sound of the quintet was, especially when Woody was playing low notes. Great writing on Horace's part and great execution from all on both sessions.

I just got this recording today and was blown away by the sound quality and performances . Every cut is a jem . I have to say Rudy nailed the sonics and sound stage . What depth . I also agree that Roger Humphries drumming is a highlite in all the cuts . What a joy to listen to music this good ! ---Leftshu

It sounds "great", sure. But it does sound "different" as well. BN records did NOT sound like this in their original incarnation, which is cool, what with progress and all, but still, it's not like they sounded BAD in the first place (and I really have heard the original LPs on excellent systems over the years- including ones that I've owned - more than often enough to have a good concept of that original sound), so I'm still a little discombobulated as to why all this is happening in the first place. Replicating the original sound of the LPs as closely as possible is one thing, but when you start "improving" things, well, the possibilities are endless, and some of them are better than others in where they eventually lead. Let's do the Hot Fives in multi-channel suroundsound. NOT!

This "RVG" stuff is indeed "good", but its also revisionist history audiowise, at least sometimes (the other RVGs I've ordered from this batch aren't as obviously "differerent"). I guess I'm getting old and cranky. Is there hope for me?

I hope not!!! :g:g:g

Hey, not many of us can spin the original Notes and be lost in that sound locked in forever. The RVGs do in many cases have that boldness and that strength of sound that I hear in original Notes when I can hear them, more so than other digital releases to my ears of the material (the TOCJs sound great, but they're sort of greywashed to all sound the same to my ears). Sure, they're different, but this is not 1965 no mo' and they are NOT in surround sound or anything such. So. . . I'm a digital guy and these are good digital ammunition to feed into my source. . . . I'm buying them all. They get the job done for me.